Oh nose!

So my new year's resolution was to not buy any more weekly glossy mags because they fill my brain with filth, deprive my wallet of funds and, besides, I can get a dose of celeb when I'm feeling out of the loop on Perez. But I did chance to flick through Famous this morning (whoops!), which has dedicated a page to Jordan's recent rhinoplasty...

Jordan's just the latest of a group of substantially-snozzed celebs having their noses reshaped. First there was Ashlee Simpson...

Then we found out Gossip Girl's Blake Lively had hers done in 2006...

Then High School Musical's Ashley Tisdale revealed to People that she had her procedure done to correct a deviated septum (yeah, sure it was your septum)...

As someone with a shapely and sizable snoz (and I'm not talking button shape – there's definite beak-like curvature) who endures well-meaning comments like "Are you Italian?" (um, no) and has been the butt of more than a few nose jokes (oh, ha, yes it does get in the way!), all this corrective surgery business is a little depressing. Why do all these girls want to look generic? And why is a small nose the only way to, um, goes?

While I've considered surgery, I just can't bear the thought of how vain and shallow having it done would make me look/feel, as well as the fact the 4000-odd dollars could probably be better spent on Jimmy Choo shoes (okay, on charitable donations). I also think God made my snoz as it is for a reason (oh, I'm sooo humble). Besides, it really only bothers me now when some insensitive soul makes reference to it when my self-esteem (and sense of humour) is on holiday. Plus, two of my family members have had their snoz size reduced but I'm not sure (actually, damn sure) it's not made them happier people.

I take comfort in my dad's self-esteem-boosting assertion that he would disown me if I changed my nose, as it's unique and regal (aw, thanks dad), as well as the fact that some well-known glamours have decided to keep it real...

Gisele, who says: "I don't have one of those plastic surgery noses. I have a German nose but so what? I have a big personality as well so that goes with it. I'm definitely not the most beautiful girl in the world."

Rachel Weisz

SJP

Sophia Loren

ANTM host Jodhi Meares

Yours truly,
Girl With a Satchel

P.S. Of course, as a woman, I reserve the right to change my mind on the surgery thing!

P.P.S. Rumour is ACP is gearing up to launch Grazia (which will totally ruin my ban-on-weeklies resolution) and current Harper's Bazaar editor Alison Veness-McGourty is linked to the launch title. Jamie Huckbody, current Harper's fashion features editor (Europe) will return to Australia in May to take over as editor, while AVM will remain as Editor in Chief.

P.P.P.S. You should most definitely read Mia Freedman's latest Sun-Herald column about Natalie Imbruglia and Daniel Johns. Very funny.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

while we are talking ACP rumours, I assume you saw the press release about Sarah Oakes and Robyn Foyster. Many changes ahead!

Erica Bartle (nee Holburn) said...

Oh, yes. Big news. Sarah is a good friend of mine. I'm sure she'll do amazing things with the mag, like she did at Girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

my mum had a nose job when she was in her late teens/early 20s. she had a big bump and was pretty self conscious. i know it sounds shallow but i think she feels a whole lot better and less self conscious now (people even tell us we have the same nose! lol). i'm not saying i think everyone should have nose jobs because i don't but if someone really wants to have one, then they should go for it. my aunty has also had one but now shes stuck with a nose she desn't like and which looks unnatural. i also don't really like my nose because i think its a funny shape but at the end of the day, i don't really care about it and a different nose isn't going to make you a better person.

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

i have to say ASHLEE simpson is one of the most drastic...nice blog.

Jen Ramos
'100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards'
www.madebygirl.com

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who had a nose job many years ago to correct what she considered to be an enormous bump (it honestly wasn't that big at all).

All these years later, she obsesses over the fact that it now looks unnatural, and curves 0.00001 degrees to the right (again, this is invisible to the naked eye).

This suggests to me that a good sense of humour and bit of bodily acceptance is likely to be a much more effective solution than a scalpel. Especially considering that the 'problem' usually only exists in the eyes of said schnoz owner!

Unknown said...

It's been rumoured that Gisele's hasd a nosejob. You be the judge!

http://www.goodplasticsurgery.com/archives/004911.html

Anonymous said...

I believe SJP and Gisele Bundchen both had nose jobs. Sorry to burst yer bubble.=P

Anonymous said...

ashley tisdale was absolute perfection before the nose job...i'm still in love with her though...just...she's a little less gorgeous....maybe a 10 instead of a 12