Faith Talk: The futility of things

Faith Talk: The futility of things


It's been really hard to generate the enthusiasm to post anything as the flood waters rise 60kms from home. I feel guilty going to the shops or surfing the net let alone prying open a glossy, as I'm itching to do something to help. So, as animals great and small from Fairfield's RSPCA (donate to the flood appeal here!) flee to the safety of Brisbane's RNA showgrounds (Lord Mayor Campbell Newman playing Noah in this scenario), and stories of good samaritans filter onto news sites instilling hope into an altogether hopeless situation, some sage words from Paul, John, James and, um, and Justin Bieber after the jump. I shall return with other, glossier thoughts soon.

"Be devoted to one another in brotherly love... Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality." (Romans 12: 9-13)

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." (1 John 3:17-18)
 
"Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."
(James 2:15-17)

 "I just cant sleep tonight.
Knowing that things ain't right.
It's in the papers, it's on the TV, it's everywhere that I go.
Children are crying.
Soldiers are dying.
Some people don't have a home.
But I know there's sunshine behind that rain;
I know there's good times behind that pain, hey;
Can you tell me how I can make a change;
I close my eyes and I can see a better day;
I close my eyes and pray.
(Justin Bieber)


Key message: Prayer without action is futile. It'll soon be time to pack the satchel for a road trip.

Yours truly,
Girl With a Satchel

0 comments: