Glossy Talk: Nicole Kidman talks to The Weekly about her Best Kept Secret. Sort of.

Glossy Talk: Nicole Kidman Talks to The Weekly about her Best Kept Secret (sort of). 

While The Australian Women's Weekly missed the surrogacy scoop with its Nicole Kidman fronted February issue on sale today ("Damn you TMZ and your news ferreting ways," tweeted associate editor Bryce Corbett), it has been awarded a consolation prize in the form of an exclusive email sent to editor-in-chief Helen McCabe overnight, relayed to readers on The Weekly's website. 

"We have been having a wonderful bonding experience with Faith Margaret. And it is really wonderful to know that our delight is being shared by you and your readers. We feel truly blessed," shared Kidman.

While the news might benefit The Weekly in a sales spike, one look at the comments at mamamia following the post about Nicole's New Best-Kept Secret is a reminder that women, in particular, are polarised by the actress, or, rather, galvanised by an intense dislike of her matched by – and, in part, because of – her intense defense of her privacy and life choices. 

While her husband has been more forthcoming, in the era of the Oprah couch confessional, Kidman is an enigma.

Corbett is respectful but puts it to her straight, tackling the issue of her adopted children head on (Isabella and Connor appear to mostly live with their dad?) and seeking her opinion on the Australian public's perception of her stoic silence: 

"At this stage, I don't care what people's perceptions might be about any of it. It's my life. It's my whole life, and I'll lead it how I choose... 

I think I'm at a point where I've just had so many things said about me that I just ignore it. I'm 43 now. I live my life knowing who I am and knowing that it will play out over however long it is that I have left to live." 

The self-described "cautious" Kidman does give a little, though. She tells Corbett that she hid in her work during the six years she took to heal from her split with Tom Cruise (we have heard this before) but adds that without encouragement, she could easily give up work to spend her days nesting with Sunday: 

"I feel I have earned the time to be with the people I love. And I want to raise her. I really want to raise Sunday properly. And she'll probably be like: 'Come on Mum, leave me alone.' But that's okay with me. I'd rather she was like that than asking: 'Where's my mummy?'" 

Now that's a comment that's bound to wind up working mothers everywhere.

Corbett has given us enough background grit on Kidman to satiate our unsavoury appetite for juice, but leaves her integrity in tact, using her latest film, Rabbit Hole, in which she plays a bereaved mother mourning the death of her four-year-old son, as the hook for some character analysis. 

"For a good part of the film, the pain being felt by Nicole's character Becca is internalised. The audience is in no doubt that grief has torn Becca's world apart; that she is now confronted with a life she has no clue she would one day have to live and is struggling to find the emotional tools to deal with it. And yet, she remains contained...

It's only acting, of course, but such is the passion that Nicole has for the film and such was the single-minded determination with which she pursued its realisation, you are left to wonder if it perhaps deals with issues and themes closer to Nicole Kidman's heart than she could ever say." 

See also: The Nicole Conundrum


Girl With a Satchel

0 comments: